The beautiful sunny weather is almost here to stay, and if you own a motorcycle you are just itchin’ to get out and ride. But before you do, remember these six motorcycle safety tips from Insurance Doctor to keep you safe on the road:
1. Always Wear a Good Helmet – When you purchase your helmet, make sure it has a sticker showing that it meets current safety standards. The best protection to protect your eyes and face is a full-face helmet that has a built-in face shield.
2. Make Eye Contact with Drivers On the Road – Don’t assume other drivers can see you. If you can make eye contact with drivers who may be about to pull into your path, you will be safer.
3. Wear Protective Clothing – Make sure you wear protective clothing that is designed for motorcycle riders. It is made to provide protection during a crash, as well as keep you safe from flying debris.
4. Use Caution In the Curves – A lot of motorcycle crashes occur in the curves of a road. To stay safe, slow down before entering a curve and choose the correct lane position.
5. Watch Out For Hazardous Road Conditions – Wet roads, fluid spills, sand, gravel, and potholes can reduce your traction on the road.
6. Take Steps To Remain Visible – Wear bright colored, reflective clothing. Keep your headlight on whenever driving your motorcycle. Ride in the lane position where other drivers can easily see you at all times.